Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Advice To My Now Senior Friends

In my recent graduation from High School, I have learned a few things about my self, and Life in general. I want to give it to all of my future senior friends and family members. So here goes!

1. Make New Friends. This one seems all too cliché, however, IT IS IMPORTANT. The friends you make your senior year will be a great support group to help you get through the final year of high school. Adults say that Junior year is the toughest, but it isn't. Senior year is. You have so much prep to do before you graduate, that emotions will be running high and so will your blood pressure. Make. New. Friends.
2. Start applying to colleges. This one can be difficult if you don't know what you want to do. THAT IS OKAY. You do not have to go into college knowing exactly what you want to do. Yes, I was one of the few who did, but that doesn't give me any special brownie points. To save money, why not apply to the Community College? It's cheaper, and I know A TON of people just going to community college.  If you find a University you think fits you best, apply! You can go into college "undeclared"; which means you aren't sure what you want to declare as your major, but are still taking classes to get you started on your road to graduation.
3. Protect Your Heart. Now this one might seem ridiculous, given our age, but it is really important. I'll be blunt. I fell in love. I was CRAZY about a boy in my Psychology class. We became friends, and the more I got to know him, the harder I fell. I won't go into detail, but he turned me down. I cried. It absolutely broke my heart. We remained friends, but it still hurts sometimes because I am still so incredibly fascinated by him. It made my final days as a high schooler tough, but I pulled through. I am slowly moving on, and him rejecting me actually was one of the best things. Because I know now that I must protect myself a little better. If it was meant to be between us, it'd have happened. It didn't, and I suffered for a while. Now, since we graduated, we don't talk much. Protect Your Heart.
4. Nothing Lasts Forever. Now, I've told you to make new friends, but I'm also going to remind you that friendships you make in high school, may not last much longer once you graduate. Much to my sadness, I only have about 10 friends that I made in high school that I still talk to. And about half of those are from my old high school (not the one I graduated from).  It will sting for a while, but know that it gets easier, and you still have the memories. Plus, college will be where you make the life long friends. I haven't started quite yet, but have already made friends with a few people I will be going to college with. One of them is even the same major as myself.
5. Mental Health Comes First. Classes will be overwhelming if you are trying to get that GPA up and those last few credits to get that diploma. If you are crying while trying to attempt that Math homework because it is just too hard, stop. Stop and go to bed. School is important, but your mental health should be your priority.
6. Prom Is Not The Most Important Thing In Your Life. PLEASE do not let your classmates and society brainwash you into thinking prom is the most important thing in your life. I debated for months about going or not, and I ended up not going because it was really something that I knew I wouldn't enjoy. I talked to friends who went, and they said it was fun, but it wasn't a blast. Plus, wasting several hundred dollars on one night is not necessary. After Prom is where it's at!

Okay so that is all of the things I really important in surviving your last year in high school. Guard your heart, and make memories.

God bless,
Ariana

No comments:

Post a Comment

....

....